Monday, March 7, 2011

Elegant Mermaid Birthday Party

Wow, it's official,

we have a five year old

(going on 15-but that's another story)!

Here she is peeking out from behind a party favor, wondering when it's time to swim. She requested a mermaid party this year, and the local pool where she takes lessons just so happens to have a "Little Otter" party room! Yay, perfect venue!

I wanted to keep things on the elegant side, so we stuck with shades of pink, orange, and coral. Mixing in some natural colors like the tan in the burlap, and shades of creamy whites in the shells broke up all of the color. Each guest had a mermaid (for girls), or pirate (for boys) activity/sticker book wrapped in either brown craft paper with white twine, or solid white wrapping paper with brown twine. On top of the books sat pink square plates (found on clearance at Target). To finish off the place setting was a small white tin, bucket. The buckets had a seahorse name tag tied to the front (seahorse shape was a PS brush from Coolest Brushes). We filled each pail with salt water taffy from Cost Plus World Market and bundled it in burlap and tulle. The cake was actually from the local Safeway bakery. I asked for simple light pink frosting with white coral piped on the sides. I then added a pretty shell found at TJ Maxx. TJ Maxx had GREAT prices on shells and coral (a plus for me since I've been wanting some for decorating around my house any way).
Before the party, the birthday girl wanted to help out with getting things ready, so I purchased a basket full of small shells from the Dollar Tree and we painted shells in colors to go with our theme!
Old pearls were also added to the mix, along with candied shells that we made using candy molds from Michaels. They were super cheap, quick and fun to make.

I placed them on top of homemade cupcakes and scattered them around the room for people to snack on. Another fun idea (I didn't come up with this one), was to sprinkle brown sugar on the food surfaces to look like sand!

The beverage dispenser is one of my new favorite purchases. I got it at Costco, and use it any chance I get! Can't wait to fill it up with some sweet tea this summer.

Live, fan-tail goldfish were also part of the decor!

This was a hit with the kiddos...not so much with the fish.

Poor things don't transport well.

A Great Big Happy Birthday to my Baby Girl!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you are one fab momma! What a lucky girl, a true dream party for any little mermaid. I miss having those types of parties for my girls. When they become teenagers, they mostly just want money. Enjoy your little girls! See ya Saturday!

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha Think? I'd love to know...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-21720588-4